Now that everything has been given away I can show you the rest of what I made!
My mom requested fingerless mitts after seeing mine on Thanksgiving. So she got a pair.
On Hannukah I found out that the socks I had given to my dad a couple of years ago were too snug around. They were colorwork so I guess I didn’t account for the loss of stretch. Oops. So he got a new pair of socks from Berroco Comfort Sock. That yarn is so soft. I am going to need to get more to make myself some socks.
The same year I gave my dad the (too small) socks, I gave my aunt a pair also. She lost one in the laundromat. She always wears sneakers so I decided I could cheat slightly and make her socks out of DK weight cotton/acrylic yarn. They felt soft and cozy when I tried them on. I hope she loves them! (She didn’t try them right there so I didn’t get to find out.)
She also got one of the matroyshka doll ornaments that I made. I gave two of these to Rachel and Shauna and kept one for myself. I think the one I made for my aunt is not pictured here but you get the idea, right?
Last night, in honor of being finished with all of my crafting for other people, I decided to cast on a new sweater for myself that I’ve been wanting to make. I am starting with the sleeves so I was doing magic loop on my Signature Needle Arts circular needles. Today in the car, I discovered something tragic.
So sad! I’m going to write to them and see if they can put my tips on a new cord or something and then never EVER use them for magic loop again.
I wasn’t sure what size needles I used to cast on for the wedge sock, but they “seemed” right.
Lesson 1: don’t go by how things “seem” in knitting.
They were not right. They are 2.5mm, or US size 1.5. Sounds small, right? Not small enough. I was getting 7 sts/in when I needed to be getting 8. Plus, the stitches were big and open, which is not good for a sock that is supposed to hug your foot. I ripped back and cast-on again with size 2.25 mm, or US size 1. Let’s hope that works better.
Now let’s not talk about the sock anymore.
N, my older son, had a day off from school for a Staff Development Day and it wasn’t my work day at S’s preschool so I decided to take them on a field trip to the California Academy of the Sciences. We bought a membership there in April and I feel like it’s not worth buying unless we use it. It was a fun day, in spite of it being more crowded there than I expected.
We saw Moon Jellies.
And, of course, visited the living roof.
You certainly can’t argue with the view up there.
I almost forgot to make my post today!
I helped Cookie a bit more today. That book shipping thing is a lot of work! The books are going out, so hopefully some of you who are waiting will get yours soon.
I also realized after my post yesterday that I Messed Up. Darnit. I somehow convinced myself that I need a stockinette band between the increase and decrease wedges of Wedge. I don’t know why I convinced myself of that. It doesn’t say that anywhere in the pattern. Then I started to be convinced that the whole pattern was wrong. If the whole pattern is wrong perhaps maybe it’s time to step back and look at how you are interpreting the whole pattern, eh? I ripped back and my sock is now shorter than it was in the picture from yesterday. I didn’t get much knitting done today because of kid stuff and my own homework. Hopefully I will get some knitting time tomorrow since the kids have no school and we don’t have to get up and rush places the next two days. Gotta love that.
I really lied a couple of days ago, because here’s what I did this morning.
I helped Cookie pack her pre-ordered books for shipping. I happened to have a day off from working in S’s preschool, so I was able to give her a hand. She has a lot of signing, packaging and shipping ahead of her!
I’ve finished two of the wedges of my wedge sock. I like the way it’s turning out. The only challenge is how the stitches get stretched out when they’re wrapped for shortrows in the cotton yarn. It only seems to happen on one side, so maybe the problem is how I’m doing it. I had to fiddle with the first set to hide them and I’ll have to keep trying as I go to make them even with the other knitting.
I think I’m making good progress. This means, of course, that my other knitting is being ignored. Oops.
I guess I lied in my previous post. I’m still talking about Cookie because I was gripped with the urge to knit her Wedge socks from the new book. I decided to knit them out of my Blue Moon FIber Arts mill-dyed Sock Candy. I was very excited to see that they were making mill-dyed Sock Candy since I had some bad fading experiences with the hand-dyed version. I love the yarn and am hoping that the mill-dyed one holds the color better. So far, though, I’m irritated by the yarn because of how it is put up. Look at the diameter of this hank!
That’s my swift opened as wide as will go, and it wasn’t wide enough because at the end of the hank the yarn slipped down and something somewhat tragic happened.
It was worse than it looks there. The yarn had wrapped around the bottom of the swift because it slipped down only partially and the swift kept spinning, wrapping the yarn around the post of the swift. Luckily, I was able to untangle it and was more careful with the second hank. Ugh. I feel like I am cursed when it comes to Sock Candy. We’ll see if these at least hold up better! They still warn about dark colors fading on the label. Well, still is the wrong word because there was no warning on the previous labels but they certainly did fade!
In any case, the yarn is all wound and is becoming the Wedge sock.
So far, so good!