I started the Lotus Blossom tank from last summer's Interweave Knits last weekend. It actually started with me making an enormous mistake. I got out the hank of linen and thought, "well, since I can't use my ball winder to wind this I might as well not get the swift out either, I'll just wind it off the hank." I sat down on the couch, laid the hank in my lap and started. Yes, laid the hank in my lap. Yes, I'm an idiot. The result was what Anabel called a "yarn monster."
I am posting this on my blog for two reasons: 1) to warn anyone else not to do this and 2) so that you all will remind me not to do it again. This is the second time I made a mess like this. The first time was right after I started knitting, almost five years ago, and I didn't actually own a swift. This time, I have no excuse. The first time the yarn was wool and Erik ended up being the one to untangle it. The linen is much easier to untangle, I have to say. Lucky for me, Anabel is intrigued by puzzles like this and took it upon herself to finish most of the untangle for me at last week's BobaKnit. Thank goodness!
That done, I swatched, washed the swatch and cast on for Lotus Blossom. I thought I twisted my stitches, though, and was knitting a moebius when I wanted a tank.
It was highly entertaining. After all that I wasn't going to buy the Hempathy, even though I've been looking everywhere for it. My mother, however, pointed out that I had been looking for it, it was a great color and I didn't know if I'd find it again. My mother is an enabler! Ah well, at least I got a sweater's worth of some nice yarn out of it. Now I just need to figure out what to knit.