finishing and starting

In the midst of caring for a chicken poxy child (the younger) I knit up a pair of birthday gifts for my friend's Tucker and Jennifer who share a birthday which also happens to have been my grandfather's birthday. He would have 101 this year! Anyway, I knit up mitts for Tucker (Rav link) and bike ear warmers for Jennifer (Rav link). I'm thinking of kntiting a pair of those for myself. They look like they'd be good at keeping the cold breezes out.

dashingdashingbike helmet ear warmersbike helmet ear warmers

In honor of finishing two things and in spite of my Hempstream pullover still not being done I started a Pucker (Rav link). The pattern is written for a worsted weight yarn (5 sts to the inch) and I don't have any sweater quantities of worsted weight yarn that would work so I'm using DK weight yarn (5.5 sts to the inch).  I picked a larger size than I would knit for myself normally based on the change in measurements from using a thinner yarn. The size I picked calls for 1100 yards of the recommended yarn and I have 1370 of my thinner yarn. I'm feeling anxious that it's not enough. This half a ball of stockinette has resulted in about an inch of sweater.

We won't even talk about how much time that inch of sweater took either. After four inches I get to start decrasing, but not all that much. We'll see how far I get before I decide this isn't such a great plan.

Read and post comments | Send to a friend

chemo caps

My friend Lisa is participating in The Relay for Life and requested help knitting chemo caps, and Kristi asked me if I had yarn that would work for me to give to Lisa and I decided to knit a few caps for her effort. I started with the Wavy Cable Lace Cap, from Elann. (Project details on Ravelry.)

I cast on right away for Shedir from Knitty, using the Calmer that I got from my No Sheep swap pal. I'm already in love with the yarn just from casting on. I can't wait to knit myself a garment with it, but for now, I'm going to enjoy knitting this hat.

Read and post comments | Send to a friend

oblique – done, finished, over!

I am finally ready to declare my Oblique done. Finally. (Ravelry details.)

Sorry I didn't smile. I have a hard time photographing myself. Anyway, since I last thought I was done I took out the ribbing and did it on smaller needles (6s instead of 9s) and I undid the k2togs holding the crossed part together. It was pulling oddly. Instead I tacked the sections together at the ribbing and at the edge, so it stays. I think it looks much better.

My favorite part of this sweater, though, is the side shaping, I think.

Read and post comments | Send to a friend

knitting, just a bit

I've been busy recently, just not knitting that much. Oblique is pretty much done, but I'm not entirely happy with it. I need to fix a few things, namely the bit where the two fronts connect is weird. Also, I think the ribbing needs to be longer and tighter, I did it on larger needles because I wasn't sure I wanted it pulling in, but I don't like it. Here's one not so great picture.

I am almost done with a February baby sweater. I'm using Maizy in the Fruit Ice colorway and I think it's very cute.

february baby sweaterfebruary baby sweater close up

The rest of what I've been up to is no knitting related. I've been sewing! (I know, shocking!) I am helping to teach a textiles class at Niels' school and the kids made quilt squares. My mom put the squares together into a top for me and I made a back, trimmed the top to be more even, cut the batting and made a pillow from the two extra squares we had. Tomorrow, the kids will start quilting it. I have a second quilt in  yellow and black to put together for next week.

Last, but not least, I finally made use of my too-small Ravelry shirt. I was going to make a grocery bag out of it, but then I realized that a drawstring bag would actually be more useful, so that's what I did.

My mother loaned me her travel sewing machine (a Janome) for all of this and I love it. I am seriously considering getting one of my own. I want to make myself an apron that is actually comfortable and at least one Amy Butler bag pattern. Just what I need, another hobby, right?

Read and post comments | Send to a friend

one step foward, three steps back

I've been working on Oblique, trying to get it finished by stitches. I haven't made much progress, well I made progress then I ripped it out. I was all the way to the bottom ribbing and I put it on and realized that it was awful. Boiled ass is how I described to the BobaKnitters. While I was trying it on one of the times I found myself thinking "too bad I can't overlap it like this and make it stay that way." Then I realized, I could do just that, by making it a pullover! So that's what I'm doing. I ripped back to where I needed to be on the front increases and then increased again, this time using the textured lace pattern. When I had enough of that, with some overlap, I knit on the collar and then connected the fronts and did some bust decreases in the texture lace section until it was as wide as the back section of the same stitch pattern. I don't know if that makes any sense.  Here's a picture:

I think it looks good so far! I hope it continues to look good. (The white thread across my bust is a lifeline, in case I needed to rip back to where I connected the fronts.)

Read and post comments | Send to a friend