on kombucha and worms

I know I posted a while back about my Kombucha culture. Since then it has just beensitting and growing. And growing and growing. Today I decided it was time to start a new batch. I had sacrificed the previous batch to just growing the culture. If I took the towel off of the jar I could smell how sour it was. This time I'm going to use black tea (just because) and refined cane sugar (because the Rapadura didn't cut it). We'll see how it goes.

I am also hatching a plot to start a worm bin. I have had a copy of Worms Eat My Garbage for a while but didn't know what to do with the castings. This past weekend there was a fair of sorts at the Elephant Pharm and there was a representative of the county's master composter program there. The county has classes on how to compost, including with a worm bin. What really convinced me was the worm bin they had. It was a small rubbermaid tote with a few inches of dirt and worms and then a few inches of shredded newspaper bedding on top. So simple! It turns out that Anabel has worms to spare so I need to designate a tote and get to it! I'm sure we make enough garbage to keep some worms fat and happy.

Read and post comments | Send to a friend

a post of many topics

First up, big ass skeins of Sugar 'n Cream. I got two of them at Michael's today. They're 12 oz each, 608 yards. I'm not actually sure why I bought them since I could make a dozen dishcloths from each, I think and somehow that seems unlikely. Maybe I'll use one of them to knit a sweater for Stefan.  I also got four colors of CottonEase which I plan to use to make a baby blanket for a dear friend who is due next month. (I better get on that!) I'm still finishing up the blanket for my other dear friend whose baby was born 10 days ago. I finally finished the first of the four big mitered squares. I expect the rest to go much more quickly because I started this one several times trying to figure out how many stitches to start with. (I decided that with the giant yarn just knitting was easier than swatching.)

I've also been working on designing a footie sock. I was going to make it sort of ped shaped to save yarn but Kristi sent me a link to someone else's peds which I thought were super cute, so I went back and changed them. I'm using a diamond rib pattern from Sensational Knitted Socks. I knit too far before starting the gusset, though, so I'm going to have to go back a bit and fix that.

footie socknew footie

Last, but not least, I ordered the free 10 pack of Moo mini cards and they arrived today. I got two each of five different cards. They are very cute, of course. I love these Moo cards. If I can ever figure out a reason to justify it, I'll order a pack of 100. Or maybe I'll just keep getting 10 free here and there.

Read and post comments | Send to a friend