finished breast

I realized today (beecause my mother asked) that I never explained why I am knitting a breast. A friend of mine requested it as a visual aid for the breastfeeding class she is teaching. I also might be knitting some to see as a fundraiser for a breastfeeding support group. I ended up using someone else's pattern, though, so I'd have to ask for permission. I have a feeling they'd give it willingly, since it comes from the Laction Consultants of Great Britain website.

finished boobareola close upcrochet circle

I started off with a smaller base for this one, using the number of stitches suggested by the above pattern. I knit mine in the round though. At Anabel's suggestion I added some purl stitches to the areola to simulate Montgomery's Glands. I don't think that worked very well though, they seem to have gotten hidden by the decreases.

Finally, I crocheted a circle for the bottom and then crocheted that on  to the base with some fiberfill inside. I feel like it needs more stuffing but I'm not sure, that's why I haven't cut the tail yet. I want to show it to Anabel tomorrow and see what she thinks.

Read and post comments | Send to a friend

Advertisements

6 thoughts on “finished breast

  1. I think it looks great! But best to check with your friend to see if it has the right 'consistency'. I just remembered, in the breastfeeding class we went to, they had sewed a large bead on the inside of the areola to simulate a clogged milk duct. If you open it up to put more stuffing in, you might want to do this as well, to increase its use as a teaching aid. Sorry I didn't suggest this before!!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s